YERA (The Glass Division of Shreno Ltd. (formerly known as Alembic Glass Industries)
Founded in 1907, Alembic is amongst one of the oldest industrial houses in India. Alembic group is acknowledged for its pioneering role in the development of diverse industrial verticals over the past 106 years. The flagship company of the Alembic group is the oldest pharmaceuticals company in India today.
The glass business of the Alembic group was set as a result of historical necessity. Indiaâ€™s entire requirement of glass bottles was being met by imports from Europe. The Second World War caused an abrupt break in the supply chain. As a result, Alembic had no bottles to package its pharmaceutical products in and the entire pharmaceuticals business was in jeopardy.
The supply chain disruption from Europe led to experiments, within Alembic, to manufacture glass bottles in 1943. After getting it right, Alembic Glass Industries Ltd. was incorporated as a separate company in 1944. The name of the company was changed to Shreno Ltd. in 2005 to differentiate its identity from the groupâ€™s pharmaceuticals business.
Over the years, the company has established many milestones of firsts on the road of development of the glassware industry in India. Some significant achievements that have built up our reputation are:
- 1948 – The first automatic manufacturing plant for glass bottles and pharmaceutical vials.
- 1955 – The first glassware decorating plant for branding of consumer products.
- 1957 – The first automatic pressed glassware plant for drink ware.
- 1958 – The launch of Indias largest glassware brand YERA
- 1962 – Introduction of heat-resistant opal glassware for kitchenware and tableware.
- 1963 – Introduction of high voltage glass insulators and architectural glass blocks.
- 1970 – Introduction of lead crystal glassware products.
- 2007 – Introduction of blown drink ware products.
- 2008 – Launch of Platina brand.
- 2012 – Launch of YERA INTERNATIONAL brand.